WHO IS MY MP?
The UK is currently divided into 650 areas called parliamentary constituencies, each of which is represented by one MP in the House of Commons.
Scotland is divided into 59 constituencies with one MP representing each one of these.
To find out who your MP is –including details of their Parliamentary career and contact information – click here
To find out more about how your MP votes in the UK Parliament click here
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT?
In Scotland, devolved matters are under the jurisdiction of the Scottish Government. However all other issues are dealt with by the UK Government in Westminster.
We would encourage churches and church groups to contact their MP and invite them along to an event with the purpose of getting to know them and to build on that relationship over time.
However, sometimes you may want to talk about a specific subject.
Some suggestions could be
SCPO has a range of briefings and consultation responses from various churches that you are welcome to use and are available on this website under Resources and Consultations.
If you are interested in talking to your MP about a specific campaign or an issue highlighted by a campaign, some are included here
INVITE YOUR MSP
- You can email/telephone/write to your MPs using the contact details found in their parliamentary information. This can be found by looking up their name here
- To download a letter template that you can fill in and send to your MP, please click here
- Contacting your MP directly over social media channels can be highly effective. Individual Facebook and Twitter information can be found on the MP biography pages here where available. Also please use the hashtag #MeetYourMP when contacting MPs so that we can see who you are meeting.
SOME IDEAS TO GET YOU STARTED…
- Plan a walk around your local area and invite your MP along
- Invite your MP to a fundraising coffee morning / community event that you have organised
- Organise a community meal and invite your MP to get to know you and find out about what your church/group does locally
This is not all about having an agenda – this is about getting to know your MP.
As meetings happen across Scotland, we will let you know what other churches and MPs have done and hopefully this will inspire you!
To download a leaflet about the Meet Your MP project click here
In April 2018, Aberdeen Presbytery organised a fantastic city wide event and invited their MSPs and MPs to learn about the life of the church and its work with partners in the city. For inspiration and to find out more click here
MET YOUR MP? LET US KNOW!
We would like as many church and church groups as possible to set up meetings over the next few months and to let us know all about it.
Feedback – please fill in this Feedback Form to let us know what you have planned and send us pictures from your event or meeting.
As with all of the work that we do, we appreciate your prayers as we seek to build productive links between people in churches and their local politicians, and for these relationships to flourish over time.
If you would like some guidance on what to pray for, click here for ideas.
Please contact SCPO if you have any problems on 0131 240 2276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org